The PTE or Pearson Test of English and the CELPIP or the Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program are both basic exams that an individual takes for a study visa, work visa, or migration application to different countries. Despite the fact that both the exams are taken for almost the same purpose, the pattern of exam, difficulty level, and the acceptance to various countries varies for both. If you are confused as to which exam suits better for your career choices, without delay read on the details for both CELPIP and PTE to make a better and more informed choice.
What is PTE or the Pearson Test of English
PTE is a computer-based examination to test the basic comprehension and speaking skills of an individual. This is for those whose first language is not English like those from India, Russia, China, and many more. Unlike most exams, the PTE is conducted in one single 3 hour sitting where the source of communication is the test computer itself. Consequently, even the speaking skills of the applicant are recorded by the computer and is not done via one-to-one conversations.
Sections in the PTE Exam
The PTE (General) examination sections include speaking, writing, reading and listening modules. The exam analyses the speaking and writing skills simultaneously. Afterwards, an interview follows the written paper round. The test pattern is as follow:
- Introduction – It is an untimed section in which the candidate has to write about themselves. This section is not assessed and is not a qualifying section.
- Part 1 – Speaking and Writing Skills – It tests the candidate’s fluency in speaking and writing English. The time duration of this section is about 54-67 minutes.
- Part 2 – Reading Skills – It tests the reading and comprehension abilities of the applicant and is of about 30 to 40 minutes time.
- Part 3 – Listening Skills – It analyses the listening skills of the candidate and takes about 30 to 43 minutes.
Validity and Score Levels of PTE
The validity of the PTE exam is in Australia, New Zealand, The United Kingdom, The USA, and Canada. The scores are valid up to 2 years.
- In Australia and New Zealand, the assessment is the key to getting a study Visa, work visa, state sponsorship, and Permanent residence.
- In the UK, it helps in getting only a study visa, and/or a work visa.
- In the USA, the PTE exam works for a work visa and certain state nursing boards for registration purposes.
- In Canada, it serves the purpose of getting a study visa.
The PTE assessment has a total of 6 levels based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Following are the different levels:
|CEFR Level||PTE Score||English Proficiency|
To understand your PTE scores better, check out this link here.
A key feature of the PTE examination is its fast results as the PTE scorecard is available by the end of 48 hours. The PTE fee is about $182 but may vary internationally.
What is CELPIP or the Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program?
CELPIP, short for Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program, is an English assessment test. Evidently, as the name suggests, the test is only recognized in Canada for PR and citizenship purposes. The CELPIP assessment evaluates the command of an individual over English speaking, listening, writing, and reading skills. A subsidiary of the University of British Columbia the Paragon Testing Enterprises administers the exam. The CELPIP test has two levels based on the requirement of the individual i.e. CELPIP General and CELPIP General L.S.
CELPIP General and CELPIP L.S.
CELPIP General assessment is one level to analyze the individual’s capability for official scrutiny to grant:
- Permanent residence (PR) applications by the Immigration office, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC),
- For various white-collar designations.
The CELPIP General L.S. examination is for official designations to grant:
- Citizenship applications by IRCC
- Acceptance for white-collar designations.
CELPIP General examination is a computer-based test which has four sections. Following is the test sequence:
Furthermore, coming to the time duration, the total time of CELPIP General is of 3 hours and the candidate has to complete different tasks from the 4 sections in a single sitting.
On the other hand, in the CELPIP General L.S. test, the applicant has about 1 hour to complete the test over the computer. The General L.S. consists of only two sections which are:
The test centers for both levels of CELPIP examination are accessible in about 11 countries. The fee for both the CELPIP test levels is:
- CELPIP General exam: $280 (approx 23k INR) + taxes
- CELPIP General L.S. exam: $195 (approx 16k INR) + taxes
The fee may vary slightly as per change in international pricing.
In conclusion, both CELPIP and PTE are qualifying exams depending upon the country you are planning to move to. For students planning to study abroad, you can always check with your college or university the exams and scores that they accept. Although, not very tough exams, it is always a good idea to start your preparation well in advance to crack these exams easily. For enquiries and guidance on preparation, you can check out this link here.